Happy Mother’s Day to all the beautiful mothers around the world! Today is a day to celebrate and honor all the mothers while we recognize everything they do each and every day.
If you are a mother, you know that some days can be tougher than others. Sometimes it’s hard to find that balance.
Let’s be real, we all have those moments when life gets in the way and super crazy. Time goes by and we ask ourselves, “when was the last time I did something for myself?”.
Personally, I feel like my life is on auto-pilot right now and I really haven’t had a chance to myself. I have a crazy schedule and trying to cram everything into 24 hours can be difficult. Between juggling being a full-time mother, my 9-5, my blog, trips to the gym, and regular social activities – time can be scarce sometimes. I hate to admit it but finding time for myself can simply slips through the cracks, This is why I have to make it a priority otherwise it won’t happen.
I’m not sure what your days are like, but we all could focus more on self-care. If we can’t take care of ourselves, then we can’t really take care of other people especially our children. At least not to the best of our ability because we are wiped out!
Finding ways to treat ourselves does not have to cost lots of money. In fact, I have a list of 18 free things you can do today.
- Read a book – Being a nerd, I love picking up a new book to stick my face into. More times than not it’s a book I took out from the library.
- Give yourself an at home mani/pedi – If you’ve already got the nail polish at home, then go ahead and do this! I love having a fresh coat of nail polish on. I have kicked the bi-weekly nail salon visits to the curb. Those trips add up quickly – cha ching $$$.
- Liven up your water – Add a slice of lemon, lime or both. Add in some mint if you’re feeling extra fancy. You can also create a detox water and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The possibilities are endless: add strawberries, pineapple, cucumbers, etc.
- Run a bubble bath – Get in and just relax.
- Make yourself a nice cup of tea or coffee – I love a good cup of coffee in the morning. I make my caramel lattes on the weekend as a special treat. It’s just something I look forward to.
- Call a loved one – Call someone that you miss and haven’t spoken to in a while and connect again. Who knows you might be the voice they just needed to hear that day.
- Listen to music – I am loving Spotify right now. I love that I can create my own playlists or just find a playlist on there for my enjoyment. I typically clean the house with music on. I even take a shower with music on. Music is life.
- Exercise – You don’t need a gym membership to do this. You can go for a walk or run outside. Go for a hike if it’s a beautiful day. Go on YouTube and find tons of free at home exercise videos.
- Lay down – Sometimes we’re always on the go and we forget to just stop. So if you’re reading this and you’ve been non-stop all day, take a break and relax.
- Light a candle – I LOVE CANDLES. My home is filled with them. There is just something about lighting a candle that makes me feel warm inside.
- Watch one of your favorite movies – There’s some movies that I watch over and over again because I just love them. I could watch all of the Harry Potter movies over again over again. I also love watching Disney movies with my daughter. It brings me back to my own childhood!
- Create a vision board – Ask yourself “What is my why?” I love creating a vision board at the beginning of the year, but it’s never too late to start. I love writing down my goals, but I also feel like if I can picture the goal it’s just an extra boost of motivation to make it happen.
- Cook yourself a nutritious meal – Eating good wholesome foods will help you from the inside out. Find a new recipe on pinterest you’ve been meaning to try and chef it up!
- Bake yourself a delicious dessert – Of course the day isn’t complete without something sweet 🙂
- Write in a journal – Reflect on where you are currently in your life. Is there anything that you want to work on? What steps do you need to take to get to where you want to be?
- Declutter – Whether that means decluttering your closet, inbox, junk drawer (because we all have one), or the apps on your phone. Find a project that will help you clear your mind and get to it.
- Pick up an old hobby – Is there something you used to love doing that you put on the back-burner because life got in the way? Pick the hobby back up. There’s no better time like the present.
- Play a board game – Invite your friends and family over for a fun night in.
Pick one, two or a handful of things to try today. Leave a comment below and let me know what you will do today for YOU.